Emergency Eye Exams
In an emergency, every second counts. Tacoma Eye at Westgate is here to help.
If you need emergency eye care or know someone who does, call now for immediate assistance.
Is it an emergency?
If you think you have an emergency, it is best to trust your instinct and get immediate help.
Here are some common situations that should be considered urgent:
- Eye infections
- Foreign objects in the eye, such as small shards of glass or metal
- Cuts or punctures of the eye or eyelid
- Chemical exposure causing pain or vision problems
- Sudden vision loss or change in your vision
- Scratches caused by foreign objects
- Sudden onset of floaters or flashes of light
Can I do basic first aid at home?
In a medical emergency, there is no substitution for experienced, immediate care visiting your ER, Urgent Care or Calling 911.
If you sustain an eye injury and wish to avoid the emergency room simply call us at TACOMA EYE during business hours at 253-220-2563. Here are a few basics you can follow in specific emergencies:
- If you have chemicals in your eyes, flush your eyes with water for 15 minutes and don’t cover the affected eye. Immediately visit your local ER, Urgent care or call Tacoma Eye for care.
- If there is a foreign body in the eye, avoid rubbing and try to gently rinse away the debris. Immediately visit your local ER, Urgent care or call Tacoma Eye for care.
- If you have sustained a major blow to your eye, immediately visit your local ER, Urgent care or call Tacoma Eye for care.
The best way to protect yourself from eye emergencies is to use common sense and wear safety goggles. Tacoma Eye carries WILEY X safety frames. Protective goggles in situations where your eyes are at risk. Keep a first aid kit that includes a rigid eye shield, eyewash, and sterile gauze in any area where your eye could be exposed to damage.
Acting quickly during an emergency eye situation is critical. Call Tacoma Eye at Westgate for immediate assistance.