Modern Eye Exams
It’s about more than just blurry vision.
Eye exams are vital to your overall health.
In addition to assessing your visual acuity, your eye care provider will test for common eye diseases, assess how your eyes are functioning together, and more.
Serious health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure are often first detected during an eye exam.
Don’t put it off — schedule your comprehensive eye exam at Tacoma Eye at Westgate today.
What does a modern eye exams include?
Your optometrist will determine what tests are needed based on your medical history.
However, most modern eye exams include the following:
- Visual acuity to test the sharpness of your vision, usually with an eye chart
- Visual fields test to check for blind spots in your vision
- Retinoscopy to estimate your eyeglass prescription
- Refraction to determine your exact eyeglass prescription
- Slit lamp to check for common eye diseases and conditions
- Retinal photo screenings to test for diabetic retinopathy
- Tonometry to test for glaucoma
- Ophthalmoscopy to examine the optic nerve, retina, and blood vessels
How often should I get a comprehensive eye exam?
Most eye care professionals recommend yearly eye exams. But it depends on your age, risk factors, and whether or not you wear corrective lenses.
At our office, we recommend children have their eyes examined before the start of school or midway through kindergarten, and each year until age 18. The affordable care act or “Obamacare” has made provisions for annual eye wellness checks for children in most plans.
Contact lens evaluations should be performed annually.
In Adulthood, the American Optometric Association (AOA ) recommends comprehensive eye exams every two years for 18 year olds, once a person reaches mid-forties and requires reading glasses our office recommends annual eye exams. Annual exams are advised for persons 60 and older.
What about contact lens exams?
A modern eye exams typically does not include a contact lens fitting. So you may need to schedule a separate contact lens exam.
Just let us know when you schedule your appointment, and we’ll make sure you are taken care of.
Make healthy vision a priority in your life and in the lives of the ones you love. Schedule a modern eye exam at Tacoma Eye at Westgate now.